- Tourist Assistance Services
By dialing 078 you can obtain free information on tourist attractions, airports, travel agencies, car rental agencies, embassies and consulates, fairs and exhibitions, hotels, hospitals, financial services, immigration services and other issues.
You can also request information at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requirements for entering the country
To enter Mexico, all tourists need to have a permit called Customs Form for Tourists, which is valid for 180 days. This document is available at airline offices, travel agencies or Mexican ports of entry. Each passenger must be provided with one.
As of 1999, a Non-immigrant Tax (DNI) is charged in Mexico, which is intended to promote tourism and improving immigration services. This tax must be paid upon leaving the country. Its cost is 294 pesos. For more information, visit the National Immigration Institute’s webpage at www.inm.gob.mx
In addition to their personal items, all passengers entering Mexico may carry a maximum of $300 dollars in merchandise; otherwise, they will have to pay a fee. All baggage is subject to review by the Mexican customs authorities.
Clarifications, questions and emergencies
Here are the telephone numbers of some agencies that may be helpful during your trip.
From within Mexico City and the metropolitan area: 5250 0151
Toll free from within the Mexican Republic: 01 800 903 9200
Toll free from the United States of America: 1 (800) 482 98 32
Embassy of the United States in Mexico
Reforma 305, col. Cuauhtémoc, del. Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06500
From within the Mexican Republic: 01 55 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
From the United States: 01 15 255 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
If you are a U.S. citizen and you find yourself in an emergency situation, you may call the following number:
(From the U.S.) 011 52 55 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
(From Mexico) 01 55 50 80 20 00, ext. 0
You can check the online directory of consulates and embassies at:
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).